26 Symptoms Your Body Is Too Acidic And How To Alkalize It
High acidity affects all parts of the body, including the kidneys, heart, liver, skin, lungs, bones, brain and intestines. High levels of acidity in the body can lead to serious health issues.
Moreover, the acidic environment in the body is suitable for the development of health ailments and illnesses, which cause chronic inflammation, the root cause of most health diseases.
The acidity of the blood is determined by its pH levels. According to the American Association for Clinical Chemistry, the pH of the blood should be about 7.4. Acidosis is manifested with a pH of 7.35 or even lower.
CAUSES OF ACIDOSIS
There are two types of acidosis in the body:
1. Metabolic acidosis
This type of acidosis starts in the kidneys, not in the lungs. When the kidneys cannot eliminate the acid from the body, metabolic acidosis occurs. It can be caused by:
• Loss of sodium bicarbonate
• Chronic alcoholic use
• Heart failure
• Liver failure
• Low blood sugar
2. Respiratory acidosis
Respiratory acidosis is caused by an increased CO2 buildup in the body. This may happen as a result of:
• Chest injuries
• Sedative misuse
• Alcohol overuse
• Nervous system issues
• Muscle weakness in the chest
Unhealthy diets and processed foods increase acidity in the body. Therefore, minerals, trying to eliminate the acids and alkalize the body, are removed from the body.
Moreover, when the minerals necessary for bone health, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium, are removed from the body, the risk of experiencing osteoporosis is increased. When there is a mineral deficiency in the body, it becomes more acidic and more susceptible to health diseases.
Highly acidic foods include grains, soy, meat products, dairy products, alcohol, coffee, refined sugar, genetically modified foods and oils, sugar replacements and fast food. So, when we consume these foods, the body produces acidic waste, which should be removed from the body.
In cases like this, we should consume alkaline foods, which neutralize and eliminate acidic waste products from the body.
SYMPTOMS OF HIGH ACIDOSIS
Some of the most common symptoms of excessive acidosis in the body include:
• Sinus issues
• Chronic fatigue or drowsiness
• Weak immune system
• Skin issues, such as eczema, rashes, acne and dermatitis
• Muscle and joint pain
• Excess phlegm
• Kidney and bladder infections
• Chest pain
• Chronic cough
• Stiffness in the neck and sciatica
• Low mental clarity
• Being obese or overweight (rapid weight gain)
• Stomach problems, such as indigestion, bloating, excess acid reflux, etc.
• Yeast infections
• Neurological disorders, including Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
• An increased risk of heart disease, heart attacks and stroke
• Increased heart rate
• Lack of appetite
HOW TO ALKALIZE THE BODY?
Making some necessary lifestyle and dietary changes can help us alkalize the body. Here are a few ways in which you can lower acidity in your body:
• Drink a lot of water and stay hydrated. It helps get rid of the toxins and other harmful substances from the body.
• Check your pH levels on a regular basis
• Consuming lemon water helps regulate pH levels in the body.
• Include more alkaline foods, such as legumes, beans, seeds, nuts, fruits and vegetables in your diet. Consume more herbal teas and green drinks.
• Consume more greens, as they are one of the most alkalizing foods. You can add them to salads or prepare smoothies and green juices.
• Avoid or cut down consuming acidic foods, such as alcohol, white vinegar, coffee, fish, wheat products, sweeteners, seafood, soy, popcorn, eggs, soda, meat, pastries and dairy products.
• Avoid consuming genetically modified foods and oils.
• The pH levels in the body are affected by the emotional state, too. Therefore, make sure you reduce stress, fear, anger and hatred. You can take up something relaxing instead, such as meditation, yoga, reading or swimming.
Providing the best conditions to maintain the optimal health and well-being is our own responsibility. Supporting your overall health through nutritious foods can lead to an alkaline state. Finding the right balance between acidic and alkaline foods is vital for maintaining the proper pH levels in the body.